Saturday 9 November 2013

Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Blurb: School is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate; tonight she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work is all over the city. Somewhere in the glassy darkness, he's out there, spraying colour, birds and blue sky on the night. And Lucy knows that a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for- really fall for. The last person Lucy wants to spend this night with is Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since punching him in the nose on the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells Lucy he knows where to find Shadow, the two of them are suddenly on an all-night search to places where Shadow's heartbreak and escape echo off the city walls. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

What I thought: I loved this book. I loved the poetry, and the colours, and the graffiti. I loved Lucy's glass-blowing, and how she had her own, unique form of art too. I loved the descriptions, and emotions, and I really loved the characters. This book sparkles, but not in a flashy way, like The Great Gatsby, all champagne and fireworks. This book sparkles like the stars.

Let's start with the front cover. How gorgeous is it? My copy has a different cover (stupid Amazon!) but I love this so much I had to put it on. I love the lights in the background, and the white spray paint. Also, the title. Graffiti Moon has to be one of the best titles ever, up there with The Fault In Our Stars and The Sky Is Everywhere. The writing, too, is quite like Jandy Nelson's writing in The Sky Is Everywhere. Cath Crowley uses the same poetic, romantic language, but instead of music being one of the central themes, there is art. Instead of using music as an emotional outpouring, both Shadow and Lucy use their art. Instead of their thoughts and feelings coming out in sound, they come out in their glass and paintings. They are able to create their memories and emotions, and make them physical things. I liked the idea that you can feel and think in colour and light, rather than words. This book made me wish I was better at art (I'm not terrible, I just work really slowly).

I've never read anything by an Australian author before. I don't know why, I just never had. It was different. The setting was good, and I loved the descriptions of their city, especially through Shadow's paintings and Lucy's glass (the bridge bottle). There weren't really any incredibly evil people in this book (excepting Crazy Malcolm and Crazy Dave), so there wasn't really anyone to blame for the main character's problems. I liked this, because it wasn't anyone's fault, it was just circumstances. Circumstances suck sometimes.
Jazz, Lucy's best friend, was definitely not the kind of best friend who fades into the background, stuck into the story to give the protagonist a wingman/woman. I loved her. And Daisy. And Dylan. And especially Leo. There was just a tonne of awesome characters, with depth and worries and humour.

Sometimes, I'll admit, I did get mad at Lucy. For not seeing what was right in front of her; for building up this romantic picture of Shadow in her head, ensuring that, whoever he turned out to be, he would be a disappointment. For making Shadow feel that he should be more than he was (okay, she didn't realise she was doing it, but it was still kinda dumb). She just didn't get it (the mysterious "it"- no spoilers), when all along it was right in front of her, and without even realising it, she stopped him from telling her because of all her high expectations. He just wanted to be good enough for her.

Basically, the writing was awesome, the story was great, and the characters were interesting and vivid. Anyone who likes The Sky Is Everywhere, or anything by John Green, or Dash And Lily's Book of Dares, you will love this book.

Rate: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment