Monday 29 July 2013

Swan Lake

This is not a book. Actually, someone might have written a book version, but I haven't read it, and this post is not about it.
I love ballet. My mum was a dancer, and she got me into it when I was a few years old. When we were younger, we always used to go see productions of ballets, mostly Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty. Swan Lake was always my favorite. The music is so beautiful and heartbreaking, the costumes and setting are gorgeous, the story is so, so sad. The dancing is spectacular; I always loved the Dance of the Cygnets, Odette's solo and especially the 32 fouettes.
Anyway, so it's my birthday soon, and I really wanted to go see Swan Lake. Aaaand, guess who's touring at the moment, opening with Swan Lake in The Royal Opera House?! Only the Bolshoi Ballet!!!!
I nagged my mum for months, but she was too busy with work, and the tickets all sold out before she got round to buying them. (Of course they're going to sell out fast, it's the freaking Bolshoi Ballet!) So now it's back to watching videos on youtube...
Not having seen Swan Lake for years, I can't really compare different Odettes/ Odiles. However, a while ago I found a video of Marianela Nunez and Thiago Soares as Prince Siegfried and Odette. I can't count how many times I've watched that video, I just keep going back to it! I absolutely love Marianela Nunez, and it's so cool that they're married, and they play opposite each other.
 The first video I found is of Odette's solo, and the other is Odile's dance with Siegfried. If you search it on youtube it'll come up.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, I've just been thinking about it a lot recently, and I've got my Grade 6 exam coming up next term. If anyone knows where I can get Swan Lake tickets, please comment! Are there any other videos I should watch? Who are your favorite dancers, and why?
Love, Freya


No comments:

Post a Comment