Sunday 18 August 2013

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



Genre: Fantasy


Series: Yes


Published: Margaret K. McElderry Books, March 27th 2007


Other books by this author: City of Ashes/Glass/etc., The Infernal Devices




Blurb: Clary Fray is seeing things: vampires in Brooklyn and werewolves in Manhattan. Irresistibly drawn towards a group of sexy demon hunters, Clary encounters the dark side of New York City- and the dangers of forbidden love. Clary is pulled into the Shadowhunters' world with a vengeance when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

What I thought: This is amazing. My friends had been trying to persuade my to read The Mortal Instruments for ages, and I am SO GLAD I finally listened to them. I loved the Shadowhunters' world, and all the different Downworlders. Clary, Jace and Simon were my favorites out of the characters, and I loved the setting of New York City. I've always wanted to go there, it sounds amazing.
There were certain parts of the book that were a bit too much like Harry Potter- The Mortal Instruments/ the Deathly Hallows, Voldemort/ Valentine. Also, there was a certain, er, revelation near the end of the book that I didn't really like. I'm not going to say what it is. I pretty sure it isn't true, because that would be weird, and just generally unfair to readers. I absolutely have to read the next one now.
Definitely one you should read. Despite the subject matter, and the rather large amount of fighting, it still made me laugh. It's one of those books that just draw you in, and have you thinking about them constantly until you finish them, sometimes even after you've finished. I think it'll be a good film- I love Lily Collins, although I find her prettiness annoying. No one should be allowed to be that attractive, it's not fair on the rest of us. Of course, I'd make an exception for Johnny Depp.

Rate: 8/10

If you liked: Unearthly, Blue Bloods, Harry Potter, Morganvilles, Beautiful Creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment